With Thanksgiving right around the corner, you are likely anticipating a big, mouthwatering meal, and hopefully a few days of leftovers afterward. Many pets look forward to the holiday season as well, as it affords them the opportunity to be given (or to sneak) some choice table scraps.
Unfortunately, those delicious morsels may wreak havoc on your pet. Pancreatitis in pets is a common problem around the holidays, and your friends at Heart of Texas want to help you learn how to spot, and prevent, this dangerous condition.
What is Pancreatitis in Pets?
The pancreas is an organ located near the stomach that is responsible for digestion and blood sugar regulation. Pancreatitis occurs when the pancreas becomes inflamed and swollen, inhibiting the secretion of important digestive enzymes and affecting the surrounding organs and tissue.
Pancreatitis in pets can be dangerous if left untreated. Bring your pet in to see us right away if he or she is experiencing any of the following symptoms of pancreatitis: