The Wonderful Ways Pets Show Us Love
As Love Your Pet Day approaches, we think about those furry beings who matter tremendously in our lives. We certainly love them for many reasons including their companionship and devotion. And for your pet, you’re likely numero uno on their “I love you, I love you, and by the way, you rock!” list. We know they love us, but exactly how do our pets show us their love?
Five Important Ways Pets Show Us Love
As pet guardians, we may sense their unconditional love simply by how enthusiastic they are every time we come home. You probably get plenty of kisses or purrs each time you take a moment to snuggle and cuddle your furry pal.
Although the list of meaningful ways pets express their love is inexhaustible, we have narrowed down our top five faves.
- They intuitively know how to cheer us up. All of us have had terrible days before, and coming home to the joyful greeting of a pet can do a lot to lift our spirits. Pets seem to know when we’re sad, upset, or sick, and they’re never far from our side when the going gets tough. Without any words, they can tell us that everything will be alright.
- They keep us healthy and connected. Did you know dog owners are more likely to get 5 days of exercise each week? It’s true! There are a number of reasons for that leash by the door, and the physical health of you and your pet tops the list. In addition, petting a cat for just 10 minutes can lower blood pressure and reduce stress (no pills required!). No wonder so many pet guardians are healthy, happy, and socially engaged. It’s all thanks to our pets!
- They remind us to live in the moment. How many times an hour do you check your phone? Are you constantly juggling five things at once? For most of us, living in the moment seems like a distant, retirement-like thing to do. Thankfully, we can zen out until our heart’s content when we spend 20 minutes or more each day with a pet. With their unbridled enthusiasm for life, pets are the best at teaching us how to live in the here and now.
- They keep us young at heart. It’s hard to stay so serious when playing with a pet. From a game of Nerf football with your pup to a laser light chase with your kitty, pets keep us feeling lighthearted and a little less worried about whatever that was…
- They’re always glad to be with us. We can be sick, disheveled, or just in a grumpy mood, and a pet won’t even notice. They’re the epitome of innocent, undemanding love, and this is most evident when we feel lonely, discouraged, or just plain annoyed. A pet companion is simply happy to be near our side, enjoying this sweet life.
There’s no denying the immense love of a four-legged companion. Through all of life’s bumps and bruises, pets are truly some of the best friends we will ever have. Heart of Texas Veterinary Specialty Center & 24-Hour Emergency Center understands the special love and bond we have with our pets and we do our best to keep them with you for years to come.